Board Member Elections
The CAL-ED board is anticipating filling several vacancies at our up-coming 2017 conference. The election will take place at the CAL-ED Conference in Pasadena, CA on March 3rd-5th. Your presence is not required but recommended. An email will be sent to notify your acceptance for nomination. If you are interested in filling one of these positions, you must submit a letter in writing by February 11, 2017.
MEMBERS RUNNING FOR BOARD POSITIONS:
* President-Elect (1-year term)
- In the absence of the President, preside over meetings and perform other
duties of the President.
- Acquire a working knowledge of parliamentary procedure and a thorough
understanding of the Bylaws and Policies and Procedures of the Organization.
- Assist the President in preparing, maintaining, and evaluating with revisions, as
needed, an annual budget with assistance from the Treasurer. This budget is to be presented at the last Board meeting of the traditional school year and is due for acceptance, with any revisions at the first Board meeting of the fall.
- Communicate with other officers, committee chairpersons, and the membership as needed to further the objectives of the Organization.
- Remain informed regarding legislation and guide the Organization in taking positions and actions concerning legislation. This is in coordination with the Legislative Committee.
- Oversee the committee chairpersons.
* Vice-President (2-year term)
Shane A. Molaison is a K-2nd grade elementary teacher for San Juan Unified School District since 2008 and on the Site Leadership Team since August 2016. He also has been an Adjunct Instructor at CSU-Sacramento with the Deaf Studies department since January 2011. Not only he is involved with CalEd, he is also a co-assistant for the ASL Celebration under CAD (California Association for the Deaf) and an active member of ASDC (American Society for Deaf Children) since 2013.
Shane has been involved with CalEd since 2010. He has served as a conference Co-Chair (2010), Secretary (2011), Vice-President (2011-current), and had other committee roles on both the Board & at conferences. During his past 3 terms, he has compiled, managed, and distributed roughly over 400 members (both active & inactive); handled and processed conference registrations; and communicated with Area Representatives.
Heather Arazi received her BA degree in Elementary Education from
Gallaudet University, then received her MA degree in Deaf Education
from CSUN, and also received her MA degree in Administration and
Supervision from the University of Phoenix. During the past eight years,
she has taught elementary, middle, secondary, and special needs
classes. She incorporates a variety of technology into her classroom,
and she regularly hosts Deaf events in the South Bay, Los Angeles area.
She is currently teaching at the Marlton School for the Deaf in Los
- Coordinate and responsible for all aspects of Membership
- Coordinate Conference Registration
- Process membership applications and maintain current membership database
- Supervise the Area Representatives
- Supervise the conference registration
- Attend all board meetings
- Coordinate the Election/Ballot box
* Secretary (2-year term)
Darren Hause is a high school Social Studies teacher at California School for the Deaf, Riverside. He is a proud alumni of California State University, Northridge with BA in Political Science ('11) and Masters in Special Education-Deaf Education ('15).
He takes pride in his work for CAL-ED in the past year as Area V representative and 2017 Conference Assistant Chair. He believes in the power of Social Media and that Deaf Education teachers deserve top-notch professional development. He enjoys attending education conferences with emphasis on technology. Follow him on Twitter (@DarrenHause) and Instagram (@dlhause).
Heather Arazi received her BA degree in Elementary Education from Gallaudet University, then received her MA degree in Deaf Education from CSUN, and also received her MA degree in Administration and Supervision from the University of Phoenix. During the past eight years, she has taught elementary, middle, secondary, and special needs classes. She incorporates a variety of technology into her classroom, and she regularly hosts Deaf events in the South Bay, Los Angeles area. She is currently teaching at the Marlton School for the Deaf in Los Angeles.
- Record minutes of all Board and General meetings
- Maintain past minutes
- Maintain files
- Attend all meetings
*Area II Representative (2-year term)
(Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, Solano, and Sonoma)
* Area IV Representative (2-year term)
My name is Nicki Ferry and I live in Fresno with my husband, Kevin, and 18 year old daughter, Baley, who will be graduating from Roosevelt Performing Arts High School in June. I currently serve on the CAL-ED Board as Area IV Representative. I have worked for Fresno County Office of Education for ten years; five years as a DHH Itinerant teacher and now as a DHH Preschool teacher. It is a joy to be a part of young learners' lives and see them grow and mature on a daily basis. I have enjoyed being the Area IV Representative as I have had the opportunity to make contact with other professionals in the field of Deaf Education as well as keep Area IV informed about various events in our area. I would love to continue to serve as your Area IV Representative.
(Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Fresno, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne)
Area Representative's Job Description:
- Serve as the contact person to members and potential members in the area assigned
- Attend Board meetings as voting Board members
- Submit a newsworthy item, self-written or solicited from someone in the area represented, to each E-News publication by the deadline set by the E-News Editor
- Assist with the conference preparations
* Website Administrator (2-year term)
Kelly Sanders is a teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing for the Santa Barbara County Education Office. This is her 18th year of teaching a Special Day Class at the elementary level.
Kelly has 6 years of experience being the previous Website Administrator for the CAL-ED organization. She believes that effective communication is crucial for CAL-EDís success and would like to see that continue moving forward.
- Oversee and maintain all transactions and updates as needed on Cal-Ed website
- Shall ensure that the website domain is secured annually
- Oversee and maintain all updates to the Cal-Ed forum
- Moderate all discussions and posts on the Forum
For questions, email Shane A. Molaison at firstname.lastname@example.org.